By Coach Juan Rojas
Are you somebody who is tired of being out of shape and is always looking to get "back to it"?
I encounter people like this all the time in my profession. One of the most common things I hear is "I used to be in good shape and now I want to get back there again but it is so hard. I eat well, I go to the gym and I still do not see the results." This can be a very discouraging situation, specially for those who might not know what factor is holding them back. Fitness and health can be like any other endeavor in life. 20% of the things you do account for 80% of the results. The other 80% of the things we focus on account for the remaining 20% of the results. What happens if we are focusing mostly on the 80% of the things that only give us 20% of the results? You will have submaximal progress.
These are 5 things that you may not know you are doing that I commonly see hold people back from being their absolute best.
1. Not focusing on health first; mentally and physically. If your body is not operating at the highest possible level, you will never get the fitness results you want. It would be like owning a brand new Ferrari but giving it the maintenance of a 20 year old Dodge Neon.
2. Taking a break on weekends. Listen, I wish calories took a break on the weekends and holidays as well. But unfortunately, that is not the case. Although many times we can enjoy a weekly meal of our choice and still reach our fitness goals, when I see individuals taking a full 1 or 2 days completely off their nutrition program and training protocol is when things really start being held back.
3. Not handling stress properly. We all have stress in our life, the key is how we manage it. I have seen great physiques nearly ready for a bodybuilding show be ruined through stress and nerves. It happens to me as well, if I have a very stressful day, my body shows it. When we stress about things we put our body in a state of fight or flight, if you are constantly in this state it can be damaging to your health and to results.
4.Focusing on what is working for others. The key to getting in the best possible shape, is finding out what works well for YOU. Oftentimes I see people just copy others routines, nutrition programs and exercises and go nowhere. This is why it is crucial that if you do not have the knowledge necessary to create an efficient and effective training and nutrition program for yourself, to seek help from a coach or a professional in the required field. If you require help in this field please message me and I can at least point you in the right direction.
5. Not focusing on sleep and rest. Many people think that they can see great results and stay up until 3 a.m. watching television when they have to be up at 6 a.m. for work. I understand that those with kids and other responsibilities might not be able to sleep as well as those who have less responsibilities. But you should really make the effort to get the longest, most restful, uninterrupted amount of sleep possible. This is when your body releases many hormones that are responsible for muscle gain and fat loss. It is also a time where your mind regenerates and allows you to start a new day operating at the highest possible level of consciousness.
So make sure that you are not making any of these common mistakes I see guys if your goal is to be the in the best possible shape of your lives mentally and physically!
With the pursuit of achieving the best possible physique and helping hundreds of clients do the same, Juan Rojas has dedicated his life to finding the best strategies for transforming human bodies. Constant research, trial and error and continous education in the exercise physiology and nutrition field, Juan Rojas thrives off finding the most efficient ways to transform your body and live a happier and healthier lifestyle.